Saturday, 25 August 2012

Eco Musings I

Yesterday I applied for a part time MSc at C.A.T. in Renewable Energy and the Built Environment. If accepted it wouldn't start until September 2013 so I've got some time to think about it and try and work out where the money could come from.

I believe I've kept abreast of the technology involved and quite like C4's Grand Designs and so I feel I have to work out how I could justify doing the course to bank manager and or parents.

To be frank I think through a combination of population growth, global warming, corporate greed and ineffectual national and international government the world is going hell in a handcart and I would advise my daughter not to have any children. See the writings of Geoge Monbiot if you want referenced facts on this (perchance he lives in near Macchynlleth where C.A.T. is based). I do struggle with his stance on nuclear power but I can appreciate the economic argument. Other writers have also broken down the argument down with detailed technical analysis to the following:-

  • Global warming is happening
  • The reliance on fossil fuels must be reduced
  • Carbon capture isn't going to happen any time soon
  • Renewable Energy supplies cannot replace fossil fuels at current energy demand levels
  • The planet has finite resources
  • Population growth is quite frightening in terms of feeding and watering ourselves
  • The BRICs are coming and they are resource hungry
Internationally economic growth and individual energy consumption is at an already unsustainable level in the western world but doing anything about this  is still considered to be a bit hippy or un-affordable.

So one of the principle reasons  for doing this course is to refine my knowledge on some of the salient technical aspects of the subject and to learn how they can be best incorporated into our modern lives and homes. I believe that my engineering background would prove to advantageous for such a course

The next is the political ammunition I would hope to gain. The ignorance people have about it all needs to be counteracted and honestly and persistently driven home by the government and the media. The truth is this no longer scare stories but fact.

The third is that one day I hope to build (or perhaps convert) a zero emissions property myself  and in the mean time perhaps get work in this area.

Finally my better half is starting an MSc this year and anything she can do etc....







No comments:

Post a Comment